1. What themes continue to show up in the work of Sachs, Easterly, and Collier related to why certain areas remain undeveloped?
2. Below are the causes of underdevelopment according to Sachs (left) and Collier (right). How are these categorizations useful (or not) in creating solutions?
- The poverty trap Civil war
- Geography Bad neighbors
- The fiscal trap Natural resources
- Government failures Bad governance
- Cultural barriers
- Lack of innovation
- The demographic
3. Like Sachs, does Collier downplay the role of imperialism as a cause of civil war?
4. Collier aims to write an agenda for the G8. Do you think the G8 is the best forum to address these poverty traps?
5. According to Collier, why is support from the West imperative to the bottom billion’s development? Do you agree?
6. Rate this book from 1 (how did this get published?) to 5 (highly recommend).