The following is taken from “How to Analyze a Text” by the English Dept. at Goshen College. Some things to keep in mind while reading:
- Read or reread the text with specific questions in mind.
- Marshal basic ideas, events and names. Depending on the complexity of book, this requires additional review of the text.
- Think through your personal reaction to the book: identification, enjoyment, significance, application.
- Identify and consider most important ideas (importance will depend on context of class, assignment, study guide).
- Return to the text to locate specific evidence and passages related to the major ideas.
I would add: How did they obtain data and are those sources reliable?
Would you add anything to this list?